Every now and then you try a recipe and you wish you'd known about it all your life. This is one of those recipes! Honestly, these amazing brownies will satisfy even the worst chocolate craving and the best thing is they're sugar free, gluten free and RAW! Three simple ingredients and hey presto. No cooking required either. Too good to be true? Trust me and try them. Looking at the ingredients you'd be forgiven for being slightly doubtful but this is true indulgence in a healthy form - I add hemp protein for a heavy protein intake but the walnuts are good protein within themselves.
Coconut sugar is optional too but I like the bit of nutty sweetness it brings. Serve cold topped with fresh, British strawberries for dessert heaven.
Recipe // sugar free salted raw chocolate brownies
- 150g good quality walnuts
- 100g organic pitted dates (or medjool dates for a goo-ey texture)
- 50g raw cacao powder
- 50g raw virgin coconut oil
- 20g coconut sugar
- 2 pinches ground pink Himalayan salt
- First pop all your walnuts in your blender and blend until a fine dust.
- Blend in your cacao powder, coconut sugar and salt.
- Add your dates and blitz until there's no lumps.
- Now, keeping the blender going add a table spoon of coconut oil and repeat until the coconut oil is all blended in.
- The trick here is to avoid eating the entire mixture! It is well within your right to have a cheeky nibble though - honestly, it is heaven!
- Spoon the mix into a small square baking pan lined with greaseproof paper and spread around until flat. You can top with optional toppings here if you wish - goji berries, crushed pistachios or just a dusting of cacao powder.
- Freeze for 30 mins and then cut into rectangles (I usually end up with about 10) before keeping in the fridge until ready to eat.
Recipe adapted from this one by the ever wonderful Madeleine Shaw.
Formally Emma Gutteridge