This is another recipe I spotted in House & Garden and have adapted to what I had in. I was really impressed by their recipe section, and have realised I can subscribe on my iPad which removes the guilt of having piles of mags hanging around the house! Their recipe came with an olive and feta relish but I had a cauliflower to use up so had the chicken with cauli cheese and some beautiful new potatoes (woo, Spring must be around the corner!) from my box. I always change any olive oil in a hot recipe to good quality rapeseed oil as it holds it's chemical structure under high temperatures making it a much healthier and tastier choice. This recipe is a lovely alternative to a roast joint, but also good when cold with a salad. It's super easy but marinade the chicken the evening before to best make use of the flavours.
Easy Like a Sunday // Orange baked chicken thighs
- For the marinade:
- 4 sprigs fresh oregano
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed or grated
- Juice of 2 oranges and zest of 1
- 4 tbp rapeseed oil
- Other ingredients:
- 4-6 good quality chicken thighs, skin on and bone in
- 1tbsp rapeseed oil
- 2 smallish oranges - best with thinner skins, sliced thinly
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- Trim any loose bits of skin off the chicken thighs and mix together the ingredients for the marinade. Marinade for at least 4 hours or even better, overnight.
- Heat oven to 190°c and take the chicken out of the marinade, shaking off any excess. Now heat some oil in a pan and brown all the chicken thighs on each side.
- Transfer the thighs onto a baking pan and pour over any juices that are in the pan you browned them in.
- Bake in the oven for 20 mins and meanwhile arrange the slices of one of your oranges in the bottom of an oven dish which will hold all your chicken.
- Bring the chicken out of the oven and transfer to your dish on top of the oranges. Now arranges the slices of the other orange on top.
- Bake for a further 20 mins.
Formally Emma Gutteridge