On Friday I shared a bit of sprout inspiration and today is a recipe for these little green nuggets of love! It's important to remember that Brussels are actually just a mini cabbage so you can do many things with them. But today I'm sharing a very simple recipe for sprouts and they are dee-licious. The addition of bacon always pleases male guests (call me sexist!) and let's face it - what dish isn't improved by bacon? Go on, I challenge you to think of one!
Roasted Brussels sprouts with bacon and shallots
A simple recipe for sprouts, which isn't only for Christmas
- 1 bag of Brussels sprouts - shelled and halved
- 5-6 shallots - peeled and sliced
- 4-5 rashers of bacon, streaky is best but any will work
- Pinch of nutmeg
- Cold pressed rapeseed oil
- Salt & pepper
- Preheat oven to 220C/200C fan/gas 7. Add bacon to a hot frying pan and fry on both sides until browned, then remove from the pan to a chopping board and when cool enough to handle, chop into pieces.
- Add your shelled and halved sprouts to a baking tin or dish with the shallot and cooked bacon, sprinkle with the nutmeg, a dash of rapeseed oil and season. Now roast in the middle of the over for 25-30 mins and toss half way through.
- You can add some chestnuts if you so desire before it goes into the oven - you can find them canned for ease.
Formally Emma Gutteridge